Five-Friendly Plants

Have you noticed that cats and dogs eat houseplants? Some people believe that they do it to soothe the discomfort in the stomach and that it helps them with digestion, or to compensate for some nutritional deficiencies. While others think that cats and dogs sometimes eat houseplants in the game because they perceive flower petals as a toy.

Keeping a houseplant "alive" next to a pet, or saving a pet from possible poisoning, can seem like an impossible mission. It is up to us, as responsible owners, to ensure that the plants we grow at home are safe and non-toxic to cats and dogs, and thus save ourselves from further worries.

These plants are safe for both cats and dogs

African violet (Saintpaulia) is one of the most popular houseplants with beautiful flowers. It is easy to maintain, and due to its ability to bloom even in low light, it is suitable for standing in places that are difficult to access for your pets.

Orchid many find it difficult to grow, but this beautiful plant enchants with its flowers. It likes morning light, and it is watered by immersing the pot in a larger vessel until it absorbs a sufficient amount of water. Since it is safe for pets, we can carelessly wait for it to bloom and admire it.

Green lily or spider plant is a houseplant suitable for pets, and ideal for beginners in floriculture. It thrives best when there is no direct light and requires watering for 3 to 4 days. What makes it attractive are the mini plants that sprout from the main plant and spread around the pot. However, long, drooping stems can entice cats, so keep it high. An additional benefit we can have is that this plant has a great ability to absorb toxins from the air.

House or Boston fern not only is it non-toxic, but it also looks incredibly attractive in hanging baskets, which are difficult to access for pets. This is one of the few houseplants that is least likely to cause discomfort or stomach cramps if swallowed by your pet.

Bamboo palm is idealif you want a mini tree in the house. Although the leaves of this tropical beauty can entice your pets to play, don't worry, it is completely safe for them, but also very useful for you. As an air filter, it eliminates some gases from the air and purifies it.

Use natural insecticides

Choosing a non-toxic plant is the first step in creating a safe environment for pets. Indoor plants almost inevitably face common pests such as plant aphids, spiders and mites. When annoying insects appear, consider non-toxic alternatives to get rid of them.

Use natural insecticides, and make some of them yourself: 

  • Dandelion pesticide. Pour 300 g to 400 g of dandelion flowers with 10 l of warm water, after an hour or two strain. This will help you get rid of your plants.
  • Pesticide from hajduk grass. Pour 200 g of dry leaves with 10 l of water, after 2 days strain and dilute with water in a ratio of 1:10. This is the safest way to get rid of spiders and other small insects that accumulate around flowers. 
  • Nettle pesticide. 1kg of fresh nettle soak in 10l of water and leave to stand, strain after 24h. Not only will you get rid of pests, but you will also fertilize and strengthen your plant in this way.

You should never keep these 3 plants close to pets

 Depending on the type and amount of the plant that the pet ate, the range of reactions ranges from mild problems with the digestive tract, to serious nervous disorders, failure of vital organs and death of the animal. To avoid all this, be well informed before you bring a plant into the house. Avoid these 3 plants in a wide arc:

  1. Dieffenbachia - Consumption of this plant causes serious irritation of the mouth, esophagus and stomach due to the insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate that this plant produces.

How to recognize poisoning: your pet drools excessively, avoids food and water, and is generally in a bad mood. Some animals may vomit or in severe cases develop swelling of the upper respiratory tract leading to difficulty breathing

  1. Philadendron - Swallowing even the smallest amount of this plant is a reason to call an veterinarian immediately. If a pet ingests a significant amount of philodendron, it can lead to severe respiratory and digestive problems that could be fatal.

How to recognize poisoning: Increased salivation and difficulty swallowing. are the first symptoms of poisoning. In addition, animals can be upset, whine and cough.

  1. Ficus - when the ficus leaves are torn off, a milky liquid secreted by the leaves appears, which is poisonous.

How to recognize poisoning: In contact with skin, it can cause dermatitis, and in case of ingestion, salivation, vomiting and poor general condition.

   With these tips, you can create a safe green oasis, and at the same time save the health of your furry friends. But if your pet still bites a plant, even one that is unlikely to cause health problems, be careful not to have any negative reactions. Just because a plant is not toxic, does not mean that it will not cause stomach pain if your pet decides to eat it.

Popular articles

Wedding decoration

Whether you are planning just an "ordinary" wedding or a crazy party with your closest circle of friends

March 8th, Woman's day

Tradicionalno slavimo i poklanjamo cveće i skupe poklone našim devojkama, suprugama, mamama, sestrama, bakama… Čak

Categories

en_GBEnglish (UK)